Artists and writers alike can agree that a decent notebook is a necessity, and the quality of a notebook is key. Frequent fountain pen users understand that the caliber of their notebook becomes even more important.
Fountain pens generally require paper that is thicker while also preventing the ink from the pen to bleed during writing or drawing.
As an authority on notebooks and planners, we can help you choose the one that works best for our fountain pen users.
Through close research of notebooks available today, we analyzed paper quality, cover durability, and available accessories to bring you the best notebooks for fountain pens.
- 1 10 Best Notebooks for Fountain Pens:
- 1.1 1. A5 Dotted Journal by Scribbles That Matter – Create Your Perfect Bullet Journal – Fountain Pens Friendly Paper – Iconic Version – Grey
- 1.2 2. Leather Journal Writing Notebook – Antique Handmade Leather Bound Daily Notepad for Men + Women Unlined Paper 7 x 5 Inches, Perfect Gift for Art Sketchbook, Travel Diary and Notebooks to Write in
- 1.3 3. Leather Notebook – Wanderings Refillable Travel Journal – Hand-Crafted Genuine Leather Journal for Writing, Poets, Travelers, as a Diary or Life Planner – Blank Inserts – 8.5×4.5in
- 1.4 4. Clever Fox Dotted Hardcover Notebook for Fountain Pens
- 1.5 5. Ricco Bello Primo Hardcover Dotted Notebook Journal for Bullet Style Journaling, Pen Loop, Vegan Leather, Thick Paper, Band Closure, Ribbon Bookmarks, 5.7 x 8.4 Inches
- 1.6 6. Leuchtturm1917 Medium A5 Dotted Hardcover Notebook [Nordic Blue] – 249 Numbered Pages
- 1.7 7. Moleskine Classic Notebook, Hard Cover, Large (5″ x 8.25″) Ruled/Lined, Black, 240 Pages
- 1.8 8. Tomoe River FP Notebook, 5.85″ x 8.27″, 96 pages (48-Sheet), Dot Grid, White (TMR-A5NB-DW)
- 1.9 9. Minimalism Art, Classic Notebook Journal, A5 Size 5 X 8.3 inches, Yellow, Dotted Grid Page, 192 Pages, Hard Cover, Fine PU Leather, Inner Pocket, Quality Paper-100gsm, Designed in San Francisco
- 1.10 10. Maggift Hardcover Notebook, Thick Classic Notebook with Pen Loop – Ruled Hardcover, Fine PU Leather, 240 Pages, 8.5 x 5.7 in, Black
- 2 Making The Decision
10 Best Notebooks for Fountain Pens:
1. A5 Dotted Journal by Scribbles That Matter – Create Your Perfect Bullet Journal – Fountain Pens Friendly Paper – Iconic Version – Grey
By far one of the best notebooks for fountain pen users, the Scribbles That Matter notebook includes dotted pages with high-quality paper for bullet journaling and more.
This quirky notebook features ink proof 100gsm paper which helps prevent bleeding from fountain pens. There is a pre-printed index, key, and page on which to test your pens.
Users of this notebook love the ultra-smooth and thick paper which makes for less ink bleeding and ghosting. The two ribbon bookmarks are different colors, which makes it easy for journalist to hold two places in the book.
The many creative features make the Scribbles That Matter journal one of the best notebooks for fountain pen writing.
2. Leather Journal Writing Notebook – Antique Handmade Leather Bound Daily Notepad for Men + Women Unlined Paper 7 x 5 Inches, Perfect Gift for Art Sketchbook, Travel Diary and Notebooks to Write in
The rustic look and size of this notebook make it perfect for traveling. The thick pages make writing with a fountain pens smooth and easy.
This journal features 120 sheets of acid and tree-free recycled cotton paper with a hand-stitched leather binding. The 125gsm paper prevents any bleed-through, making it perfect for fountain pen enthusiasts.
People who use this journal love the classic look and feel of the leather cover and cotton pages. It is the perfect gift for the artist or writer in your life.
The classic look of this book and the durability of the pages make this among the best leather journals for fountain pens.
3. Leather Notebook – Wanderings Refillable Travel Journal – Hand-Crafted Genuine Leather Journal for Writing, Poets, Travelers, as a Diary or Life Planner – Blank Inserts – 8.5×4.5in
This thin and sleek leather journal is perfect for fountain pen writing and drawing. The notebook comes in various sizes which can make it perfect for home or travel.
This refillable notebook is made of 100% leather and comes with 90 replaceable sheets of paper. The elastic and leather closure can also be used to hold your fountain pen.
Frequent users of this notebook love how customizable it is and have pointed out that you can burn the leather with any phrase or symbol you’d like on the cover.
Because this notebook comes in multiple sizes and is customizable in many ways, it is by far one of the best pocket notebooks for fountain pen users.
4. Clever Fox Dotted Hardcover Notebook for Fountain Pens
Clever Fox is an industry-standard for notebooks and journaling and this quality book proves why. Because this book has durable paper, it is great for writing with fountain pens.
This affordable notebook comes with stickers, a pen holder, a pocket in the back for loose papers and 127 numbered pages to keep your life organized.
People who own the Clever Fox say that it is exactly what they were looking for and they love everything about the notebook.
With the various features and the Clever Fox brand, you will love writing with your fountain pen in this notebook.
5. Ricco Bello Primo Hardcover Dotted Notebook Journal for Bullet Style Journaling, Pen Loop, Vegan Leather, Thick Paper, Band Closure, Ribbon Bookmarks, 5.7 x 8.4 Inches
This textured faux-leather notebook combines a classic look with a modern feel. The premium pages are perfect to use with your favorite fountain pen.
The journal features 120gsm dot grid paper, a wide elastic and faux leather closure, an attached pen loop and front index pages for optimal organization.
People who have purchased this journal have nothing but good things to say. This is an excellent journal for bullet journaling as well as a professional environment like work or school. The paper quality makes it among the best journals for fountain pens.
This notebook includes plenty of features that are well worth looking into. The 120gsm paper will be perfect for writing with your fountain pen.
6. Leuchtturm1917 Medium A5 Dotted Hardcover Notebook [Nordic Blue] – 249 Numbered Pages
Another great brand name for journaling is the Leuchtturm1917. This modern design is one of the best notebooks for fountain pens. The journal comes with 249 numbered pages of 80gsm paper, an elastic closure and a back pocket for loose papers.
People love this journal for its simplicity and the front index. Customers say the organization is perfect for bullet journaling.
The modern design of this classic notebook is a great starter book for people new to bullet journaling. The range is sure to provide you with the look you want and the pages will work excellently with your fountain pen.
7. Moleskine Classic Notebook, Hard Cover, Large (5″ x 8.25″) Ruled/Lined, Black, 240 Pages
This is a timeless notebook and Moleskine is known for making good notebooks for fountain pens. You can get this leather-like classic notebook in a variety of colors to suit your personality and it comes with either blank, ruled, dotted or grid style sheets.
Because of this, there is a nearly endless variety of options to choose from to suit your needs. People tend to be die-hard Moleskine users and many say they would never use another brand after trying them.
With nearly endless colors and page-types to choose from, you can find one of these notebooks to fit your personal style and needs. The quality paper is great for your daily fountain pen use.
8. Tomoe River FP Notebook, 5.85″ x 8.27″, 96 pages (48-Sheet), Dot Grid, White (TMR-A5NB-DW)
This is the perfect notebook for the fountain pen user looking to write letters or long journal entries.
This softcover notebook features dotted grid paper and thin pages that can take fountain pen ink without bleeding through the page or feathering.
People tend to love the thinner paper, which is half the thickness of copier paper, to write letters. The paper is easy to fold without being so thin that the ink bleeds through to the other side.
9. Minimalism Art, Classic Notebook Journal, A5 Size 5 X 8.3 inches, Yellow, Dotted Grid Page, 192 Pages, Hard Cover, Fine PU Leather, Inner Pocket, Quality Paper-100gsm, Designed in San Francisco
This modern, minimalism notebook is a great travel journal or bullet journal for fountain pen users.
The faux leather cover is durable and the A5, 100gsm paper allows your fountain pen to glide easily across the page.
Frequent users of this notebook say that they enjoy the quality of the notebook at a more reasonable price than others like it. This is a great journal if you are new to bullet journaling.
With a variety of colors and styles to choose from, you are sure to find the right Minimalism Art notebook to fit your style and writing needs. This is a favorite among fountain pen friendly notebooks.
10. Maggift Hardcover Notebook, Thick Classic Notebook with Pen Loop – Ruled Hardcover, Fine PU Leather, 240 Pages, 8.5 x 5.7 in, Black
This handsome hardcover notebook is sure to be a new favorite. Whether you are a bullet journalist, artist or writer, this journal will work for you.
The high quality and environmentally friendly 80gsm paper of this journal will work well with your fountain pen without feathering or bleeding through the page.
Users love the look and design of this notebook and the back cover pocket for carrying loose sheets or other supplies. Many like the quality of this book at a lower price than other notebooks on the market.
This stylish notebook with high-quality paper is sure to become a favorite for your fountain pen writing.
Watch this video for better understanding which notebook is fountain pen friendly
Making The Decision
This list of the best notebooks for fountain pens is sure to provide you will all the information you need to make an informed decision about which notebook would be best for your fountain pen writing.
Whether you are looking to sketch, bullet journal or write, this list of the best available books for fountain pens is sure to have something that you are looking for. Pay attention to paper thickness, quality and durability of the cover and accessories as well.
So, pick a notebook, get your fountain pen out and start writing today!